DIY Street Fair – the annual 3-day Ferndale event celebrating local artists, crafters and businesses adhering to a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) ethic – returns Friday, Sept. 13, through Sunday, Sept. 15, with more than 130 vendors, 62 musical acts, a unique kids zone, a charity 5k Run and local cuisine from area restaurants and food trucks.
The event launched its first weekend street fair in 2008.
The event is free of charge and open to the public.2013 Highlights:
62 original musical acts perform throughout the weekend on two outdoor concert-grade stages and one indoor stage. Lineup includes national acts DEATH (protopunk band originally formed in Detroit, 1971) and country blues band Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, local legends Suicide Machines and Thunderbirds Are Now!, local touring acts The Sights, Jamaican Queens and Child Bite, and a special appearance by Livonia-based deaf hip-hop artist, Sean Forbes.
DIY 5k 2013 – “Art on the Run” for charity:
Saturday, September 14 @ 9AM, starting at Woodward Avenue Brewers. Proceeds benefit Ferndale Public Schools’ art programs: http://diystreetfair.com/diy-5k-ferndale/
More than 130 independent businesses which exemplify DIY ethic offering handmade, original, unique and one-of-a-kind products and artistic works
Entertainment, hands-on activities and educational experiences for children of all ages including a climbing tower, art projects, bike maintenance demos, story time, sing-along, and a charity dunk tank for Ferndale area educational programs
Ferris Wheel Rides:
Ferris wheel at fair entrance on East 9 Mile Road at Woodward Ave., rides free of charge
Favorite local food trucks and restaurants will be on site serving a wide variety of dishes - including vegetarian selections - along with locally produced ice cream and coffee
While the event has caught on to wild popularity in Ferndale and surrounding areas, it is still catching on elsewhere throughout the region. Here's how it compares to other major annual outdoor weekend festivals:
- Free to attend: with free activities for kids and entertainment for fair-goers of all ages
- Nighttime Marketplace: vendors stay open late into the evening
- Local focus: All vendors have a local tie and champion independence.
- Mindful experience: DIYSF aims to produce a traditional fair experience focused on friends and neighbors.
- Entertainment: All performing bands have a tie to the local area and are passionate about the quality and authenticity of their work. Many have self-produced and/or self-released recordings.
- Benefiting Local Charities: DIYSF hosts local charities raising funds through the sale of lemonade, popcorn, and cotton candy (provided by fair organizers), through tips from beer and cocktail service, and through parking proceeds.
- Green: DIYSF is diligent about reducing waste wherever possible. The fair wrapped its first annual event with just one bag of trash, and the same practices continue. Free water is provided to patrons to minimize plastic bottle usage, and beer is served in reusable cups
South-East quadrant of 9 Mile Rd and Woodward Avenue, spanning the Ferndale Public Library parking lot, Troy Street and the city parking lot (Falvey Lot) behind Woodward Avenue Brewers in Ferndale. Parking will be available at Credit Union One on 9 Mile Road at Paxton for $10. to benefit FernCare, a free medical clinic.
Friday, September 13, 2013, 6PM-Midnight*
Saturday, September 14, 2013, 11AM-Midnight*
Sunday, September 15, 2013, Noon-11PM*
* Free musical performances each evening until 2AM inside the The Loving Touch bar adjacent to the fair site
Source: DIY Street Fair