Like most Ferndale residents, 5-year-old Tallulah Smith isn't too happy about the current power outage.
"It is not good. I have to open like every window!" she said Thursday afternoon while she, her 5-year-old friend Ion and Ion's mom took a snack break after a bike ride in downtown Ferndale. "I don't really like storms."
The would probably agree, especially those missing their air conditioning as temperatures reach over 90 degrees.
Looking for some ways to stay cool? Here are a few ideas, and be sure to add your own suggestions in the comments section below.
- Head to the , which is open until further notice as an official cooling center. The AC is on, pets are welcome (on leash or crated), and water is available. The is also open Saturday.
- Cool off with a swim. No ? Head to one of the water parks in the area, including Red Oaks Waterpark in Madison Heights.
- Load up the family and venture out for the ultimate hot weather snack–ice-cream! How about some , or maybe some soft-serve at ?
- Who doesn't love a frozen drink on a hot day? Grab a fruit smoothie or an iced coffee at (where power is back on!), or .
- For the 21-plus crowd, cool down with your favorite summer cocktail tonight. With the plethora of bars and restaurants in town, you have your pick. Power has been restored to most downtown Ferndale businesses, but be sure to call first just incase.