- Age: 16
- School: Sophomore at
- Accomplishments: Shane Sandlin loves being involved and helping people. He often volunteers at high school events and is in the Big Brother program, where football players serve as mentors for students. Sandlin has played football since middle school, runs track and has sung in the men's choir at school. He enjoys singing and music and once won an award in the Talent Show. He currently plays percussion in the FHS Symphonic Band, and has been involved in Drumline in the award-winning Ferndale High School Marching Band.
In addition to his many activities, Sandlin holds a 3.1 GPA while also being employed part-time at Jimmy John's in Royal Oak. He enjoys helping his mom with things like yard work and snow removal. After graduation in 2014, Sandlin plans to study culinary arts and business management in college.
Ferndale resident Christine Kole, whose son is friends with Sandlin, nominated him for the recognition and said he is a "nice, accomplished young man."
"He is one of the most well-liked and well-rounded students at the high school, and is always smiling!" Kole said.
- Key to awesomeness: "If people need help with anything, I don't mind dedicating my time to it," Sandlin said, adding that it doesn't matter whether it benefits him or not. "Just to help out is fine with me."
Sandlin - who said getting enough rest and only working on weekends helps him manage his busy schedule - said he's enjoyed helping people since he was a child.
"Ever since I was little I just liked to help out with things even if I didn't have to or was told to, I would do it anyway," he said.
Do you know a Whiz Kid?
Each week, Ferndale Patch seeks suggestions from readers for individual kids, youth groups, teens and even sports teams that wow us with their accomplishments. Submit your nomination in our comment box below or email email@example.com. Be sure to include all of the following information:
- Nominator's name and email address
- Whiz Kid's name, age and school
- Whiz Kid's accomplishment
- Whiz Kid's key to awesomeness (what made him/her successful?)