Suspected Drunken Driver Causes Serious Accident in Highland, Shuts Down Roadway

The following information was supplied by the Oakland County Sheriff's Department, Highland substation. Arrests and charges do not indicate convictions.

A 25-year-old Milford man was arrested Sunday at 2 p.m. following a serious car accident on Milford Road in Highland.

According to the report filed with the Oakland County Sheriff's Office Highland Substation, the man was involved in an accident in the Village of Milford near Hector and Jimmy's, but fled the scene down Milford Road towards Highland where a second accident occurred.

The report states that several witnesses saw the man's truck, a 2004 Ford F-150, speeding up to 80 mph, down the stretch between Milford and Highland, and passing cars in no passing zones.

While coming over the crest of a hill on Milford road, the driver struck the back end of a car, causing both vehicles to spin out, the report states.

The truck traveled across the roadway and struck a telephone pole before coming to a stop, the report states, and the pole fell across Milford Road bocking traffic in both directions.

When deputies arrived on the scene they started to address the medical needs of the truck driver, and of the driver of the second vehicle. That vehicle was driven by a 50-year-old Milford man who had his 16-year-old daughter in the car with him.

Both were transported for care to a nearby hospital and later released.

The driver of the truck was combative with EMTs on the scene, according to the report, and smelled heavily of intoxicants.

Deputies questioned the 25-year-old driver who said he had been drinking beer and whiskey prior to driving - but he would not say how much. When asked by deputies if he knew what had just happened, he said, according to the report, "I may have just killed someone."

The 25-year-old was given a preliminary breath test at the scene, and registered a .25 blood alcohol level. The legal limit is .08. A search warrant was obtained to take blood for further blood alcohol level test after the man refused the blood tests initially, the report states.

Deputies noted in the report that the man was not cooperative with deputies or medical personnel once taken to the hospital. After being treated at the hospital, the man was released from custody pending the results of the blood test.

The incident remains under investigation. Records show the man had a prior operating while under the influence conviction in 2007.

elyse December 13, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Unbelieveable- this is his 2nd arrest for DUI and he was RELEASED from custody???!!!!! Are you kidding me- the next time he says he thinks he may have just killed somebody, he will be right. What is wrong with our law system??!!!!! He should have lost his license permanently.
Brooke Tajer December 13, 2012 at 07:24 PM
He was only released while the deputies wait for the blood results to be analyzed - that's how it usually works. The blood test will give a more accurate BAC and he will likely be charged under the state's new Super Drunk law.
elyse December 13, 2012 at 09:30 PM
So during the time he is released he is at a bar or home getting drunk again and getting behind the wheel. Great process
Greg Burks December 13, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Somethings missing or wrong here, if he blew a .25 they should have locked him up regardless the outcome of the blood test.
Lisa December 20, 2012 at 01:09 AM
I second that Greg! He should have been locked up. Clearly something terrible has to happen to a member of a lawmaker's family before the law will change! Many prayers go out to the two innocent people in the other car.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »