Organizers have been for months, and now the event is here.
During the relay on Saturday, which raises money for the American Cancer Society, teams will camp out around the track and members of each team will take turns walking.
raised $76,941 to fight cancer, beating its goal by $11,441. This year's fundraising total is currently at $42,266, and organizers are hoping to raise $80,000.
"This is a day we celebrate, remember and fight back," said event chair Michele Sibula. The relay currently has 26 registered teams and 295 participants.
Planning to attend, or interested in getting involved? Here's what you need to know:
- What: Relay for Life of Ferndale
- When: 10 a.m. Saturday through 10 a.m. Sunday
- Where: track
- Who: The event is open to all, even if you haven't signed up to participate. Sibula encouraged residents and families to come and check it out, walk, and enjoy the activities offered. "It's a great way to come and find out what Relay is all about," she said.
- Activities: An opening ceremony, survivor/caregiver lap and luminary ceremony are just a few of the special events that will take place during the relay. Face-painting, games for children, food and entertainment are also included.
- How to get involved: You can still donate or walk at the event, and all funds raised during the relay will benefit the American Cancer Society.
- Need more information? Visit the 2012 Relay for Life of Ferndale website, or contact Sibula at firstname.lastname@example.org.
, and Subway are among the local businesses supporting the event.
"Something like this, especially on this scale, doesn't happen without a lot of support from the community," Sibula said. "We are very blessed to live in Ferndale where we get so much support from our community. It's really, really fantastic."