Ready to choose Ferndale Patch's ice cream flavor?
Patch has partnered with Treat Dreams to host a flavor contest. Last month, you shared lots of creative ideas on what you thought would make a great "Patch-y" flavor.
We handed your ideas over to Treat Dreams owner Scott Maloney and he chose his top five. It wasn't an easy task, he said, as all the ideas were pretty impressive.
"The hard part was narrowing it down to five," Maloney said.
A few of the suggestions had actually been done there before, and he and his staff also took into account what works well in an ice cream.
"Some ingredients will freeze well and others won't," said head ice cream maker Cheryl Allen. Also, "We have to play with things and figure out how to keep them from just dissolving during the process."
Now you get to vote from the five flavors below. Treat Dreams will make the winning Patch combo and feature it in the store for one week.
Thanks so much to everyone who submitted an idea, and congratulations to those who made the list! Remember, if your idea gets the most votes, you'll win two free pints of the new Patch ice cream!
The Top 5
1. Peppermint Cocoa: Chocolate ice cream, crushed peppermints, with a swirl of marshmallow. Submitted by Mary Beth Lunemann Traines.
2. Fruits that grow in a "patch" - strawberry/blackberry/ blueberry/raspberry - with a hint of basil in a wonderful creamy bourbon vanilla ice cream. Submitted by Michelle B.
3. Ferndale Community Crunch/Ferndale Normal: Mixed nuts and flakes (coconut) lovingly tied together with ribbons of caramel, and laced with a little Valentine Vodka. Submitted by Bridget Deegan-Krause.
4. A Patchigan Mash-Up: Avocado, Lemon grass, and Michigan Cherries (sweet or tart depending on the base ice cream mix). More details in the original comment here. Submitted by Andrew Kehrig.
5. Peanut butter, banana, cinnamon, and vegan chocolate brownie. Submitted by Jillean.
How to vote
To vote, just leave a comment in the comments section below with your favorite flavor from the top five above. Choose only one. Voting will be closed at 11:59 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13.
If there's a tie, the winner will be determined by a random drawing.
See our Official Rules here.