In our quest to rate the best of the best in Ferndale, we asked Patch readers this week to vote for the .
A total of 90 readers voted in our poll, and on Nine Mile Road came out on top with 77 percent of votes.
Steve Selvaggio, who co-owns the market with his brother Tony Selvaggio, said the store's focus on fresh, natural and organic foods is a big draw for many customers.
"Not only do we concentrate on fresh, we really try to give an emphasis on local products as well," he said. "I think people have kind of changed their eating habits and they're getting more into cooking fresh."
Selvaggio said the store also caters to people who don't have as much time to cook, but still want natural products. A new executive chef is on staff who focuses on high-quality prepared foods, the store has a specialty butcher, and items such as fresh guacamole and fresh-squeezed orange juice are also popular.
"Things like that that you don't find at the other grocery stores in town," he said. "I think that sets us apart."
Check out these reviews left on :
- Dan Martin:Western Market is great. They have a lot of great items not available elsewhere in Ferndale. Not only do I enjoy shopping there but they are very engaged in the community and have been extremely generous in their support of area non-profits.
- T. Scott Galloway: My family enjoys the convenience and the great selection of fruits, vegetables and prepared foods. Lots of organic and Michigan products are available and their selection of beers and wines is getting better all the time. This family run grocery store is very involved in the community which is a plus for us.
Here are some of the comments Patch readers had in response to our poll:
- Valerie: Western Market!!
- Maureen: Tough question. It is a toss up between and Western Market.
- Kate: I'm surprised that so few commenters have had anything to say about Ferndale's great variety of affordable grocery stores. I have 5 food retailers - Western, , Natural Food Patch, and the new organic market - within 4 blocks of my house. I know the workers (and some of the owners), see my neighbors in the stores, and am proud to support businesses that support the schools and nonprofits in Ferndale.
Because our poll is not scientific, it is not the sole consideration in choosing a winner. Winners are determined by the Patch editor, based on poll results and reviews on the Patch Directory. See our Official Rules here.
To see other Ferndale businesses have been named a Readers' Choice favorite, check out our full Readers' Choice series here. Then, if you've got a favorite business in town, make sure you leave your reviews by visiting our Directory.
Do you own or manage a business in Ferndale? Be sure to – it's free!
Check back Monday morning for a new Readers' Choice poll.