The Ferndale Public Library has announced the book they’ll be encouraging everyone in Ferndale to read this March. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut is this year’s Ferndale Reads book.
As in years past, those who are interested in reading the book can come to the library beginning Feb. 9, or any of the Ferndale Reads events, and get a free copy of the book to keep.
This year’s kick-off event will be held at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9 at the Rust Belt Market. The details of the kick-off are a mystery, but attendees may want to bring their smart phones to document the happening.
Copies of the book will be handed out at the kick-off event.
Throughout the month of March, there will be many ways to earn entries in a prize drawing, including: being “caught” reading Slaughterhouse-Five around Ferndale, attending a book club discussing the book, attending another Ferndale Reads event and a few others that will be announced along the way.
This year’s keynote speech will feature Ferndale resident and author Gregory Sumner, who is a professor at the University of Detroit. His recent publication, Unstuck in Time, is a journey through Kurt Vonnegut’s life and work. Sumner will speak about Slaughterhouse-five’s popularity and sign copies of his book.
Ferndale Reads events
- Mid-March through April – For the Love of Reading Art Exhibition – Ferndale Library
- Saturday, Feb. 9: Ferndale Reads Kick-Off – Rust Belt Market – 22801 Woodward Ave – 2:30 pm
- Thursday, March 7: Go Comedy Performs a Show inspired by Slaughterhouse-Five – 261 E 9 Mile Rd- 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, March 13 – Science Fiction Book Club – 7:30 pm –Ferndale Public Library
- Thursday, March 14 – Go Comedy Performs a Show inspired by Slaughterhouse-Five – 261 E 9 Mile Rd- 8:00 pm
- Thursday, March 21 – Emory Book Party – 22700 Woodward Ave 7:30 pm
- Thursday, March 21 – Go Comedy Performs a Show inspired by Slaughterhouse-Five – 261 E 9 Mile Rd- 8:00 pm
- Tuesday, March 26 – Friends of The Library Book Club – Ferndale Library – 7:30 pm
- Wednesday, March 27 – Gregory Sumner, Professor of History, University of Detroit Mercy will speak on the life and writings of Kurt Vonnegut – Ferndale Library – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, March 28 – Go Comedy Performs a Show inspired by Slaughterhouse-Five – 261 E 9 Mile Rd- 8:00 pm
For updates on Ferndale Reads, visit http://www.facebook.com/FerndaleReads.
Information provided by the Ferndale Public Library.