Woodward Dream Cruise Adds 5K Event in Royal Oak
City Commission approves a plan for a Cruise in Shoes 5K race down Woodward Avenue early morning before the cruise begins.
A Cruise in Shoes 5K will take place in conjunction with the Woodward Dream Cruise, the Royal Oak city commissioners decided on Monday.
The 5K race on Aug. 18 will take place on a closed stretch of southbound Woodward from 13 Mile Road to Normandy for approximately 30 minutes.
“Our thought is to create more family inventory,” said Tony Michaels, Woodward Dream Cruise executive director. “We can do this early in the morning. We can help fund the Woodward Dream Cruise and write more checks to the various participating communities by putting this on.”
Tale of the trail
- The 5K race will begin at 7:30 a.m. from the course start line located behind Shrine High School on Yorba Linda Boulevard.
- The finish line will be on Shrine High School’s track in front of the bleachers.
- Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic at approximately 7:15 a.m.
- Northbound Woodward lanes will remain open at all times during the event.
- The family-friendly event will be open to participants from 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. with registration will taking place from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.