Whiz Kid: Ferndale High School Senior Janay Hughes Wins $11,500 Scholarship
Read about this week's Ferndale Patch Whiz Kid and nominate someone you think we should highlight next week.
- Age: 17
- School: Senior at Ferndale High School
- Accomplishments: Janay Hughes is a senior honors student and very active in the music program. She plays violin, viola, bassoon, and in marching band plays the bass drum. She was recently awarded a $11,500 scholarship to University of Detroit Mercy. She is also active in the theatre program and other extracurricular clubs. "She is a leader, well-respected among her peers, and her work ethic and dedication are amazing," says Audrey Langley, a local parent who knows Hughes through the music program and nominated her to Ferndale Patch. "She is a special girl and will be a great asset to any school she attends."
- Key to awesomeness: "I believe that my key to awesomeness is just trusting in the best of people and the positive aspects of life. I also try my best to push the boundaries of my comfort zone so I can experience absolutely anything I can. I'm definitely motivated by my family, peers and feature career. I want to be a midwife."
Do you know a Whiz Kid?
Each week, Ferndale Patch seeks suggestions from readers for individual kids, youth groups, teens and even sports teams that wow us with their accomplishments. Submit your nomination in our comment box below or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include all of the following information:
- Nominator's name and email address
- Whiz Kid's name, age and school
- Whiz Kid's accomplishment
- Whiz Kid's key to awesomeness (what made him/her successful?)