UPDATE: Power On at AJ's Music Cafe after Electrical Fire; Concert Moves Back Inside
AJ's Music Cafe had a small electrical fire this morning and the Assembly Line performers are back inside.
The fire occurred about 1:40 a.m. Tuesday. The Ferndale Fire Department cut the power and the Assembly Line concert resumed outside until repairs could be made.
"We got the power back on a little after noon," AJ's Music Cafe employee Mike Force said. "We're now up and running and making as many drinks as humanly possible."
The cafe intends to break the record for longest concert by playing for 360 straight hours. The event began March 19 and will continue through April 3.
"I was home, just put my head down, and the phone rang," said cafe owner AJ O'Neil Tuesday morning.
Ferndale Fire Marshal Brian Batten said wires inside the wall near the front door caught fire. "Someone saw the fire and it was quickly extinguished," Batten said. "The fire department showed up and shut off the electricity. The concert continued outside."
Batten said damage was minor. He estimates $3,000-$4,000 in damages. Cause is believed to be from improperly installed wiring that became loose.
O'Neil and staff had moved chairs and a piano to the sidewalk in front of the building and acoustic musicians continued playing songs through the morning.
"We live in a great community," O'Neil said. "I'm proud to be part of this community."