Ferndale Pride June 14-17: Schedule of Events
Here's what you need to know for the second annual weekend of events.
It's time for Ferndale Pride, a series of gay pride activities going on June 14-17 in Ferndale that are expected to draw thousands of people into the city for marches, rallies, a street festival and more.
Ferndale Pride started last year after Motor City Pride, the state's largest gay pride festival, relocated to Detroit's Hart Plaza after holding the festival in Ferndale for 10 years.
The event is "a recognition that Ferndale has a national reputation of standing up for diversity" and a celebration for the LGBT community, said Craig Covey, director of Ferndale Pride.
"It's our time, it's our community's time to celebrate itself and get together and have fun," he said.
Schedule of events
Thursday, June 14
- Pre-Glow Party, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Dino’s Lounge
- Beyond the Bar 2012: Opening Reception, 7-10 p.m. at Affirmations
Friday, June 15
- Light the Night Against Hate, 8:30 p.m., Schiffer Park at West Nine Mile and Planavon.
- Motor City Bears Charity Dinner and Silent Auction, 5-8:30 p.m. at Zion Lutheran Church.
Saturday, June 16
- 3rd Annual Dyke March, 2 p.m., starts at Rust Belt Market
- Bears in Speedos Car Wash, noon-3 p.m. at Level One Bank
Sunday, June 17
- Rainbow Run, 9:30 a.m. registration, begins at 10:30 a.m.
- Opening ceremony, noon, Main Stage at West Troy Street in downtown Ferndale.
- Ferndale Pride Street Festival Market Daze, noon-7 p.m., on West Troy at Woodward.
- After Party, 8 p.m.- midnight at Orchid.