Photo Gallery: Ferndale Youth Assistance Team Kicks the Competition
Five teams from the community came out to play a friendly game of kickball.
Five teams played Saturday in a Nonprofit Kickball Tournament at Martin Road Park.
- Ferndale Community Foundation, captained by Dan Martin (White)
- FernCare Free Clinic, captained by Cindy Willcock (Green)
- Ferndale Youth Assistance, captained by Dianna Smith (Red)
- City of Ferndale team, captained by Julie Hall (Yellow)
- Friends of the Library, captained by Kevin Deegan-Krause (Gray)
Ferndale Youth Assistance took the trophy home, winning all of their games. The City of Ferndale won second place and FernCare took third.
The 50/50 raffle was a success with Joann Willcock having the winning ticket. However, she donated her winnings back to the pot. All of the money raised will be split equally between the four nonprofits -- Ferndale Youth Assistance, FernCare, the Ferndale Community Foundation, and the Friends of the Ferndale Library.
Organizer and captain of the Friends of the Ferndale Library Matt Nowaczok said that the final amount hasn't been tallied yet. "It was a great event but it wasn't about the money," he said. "It was about getting employees of the city and community members out together."
Nowaczok said he hopes that next year he'll be able to expand the Nonprofit Kickball Challenge and incorporate more teams.