Fun Happenings Nearby This Weekend
Check out the Arts & Authors Festival in Clawson, celebrate bike culture in Birmingham, shake a tail feather in Royal Oak, catch a movie under the stars in Berkley, learn about an alternative school in Southfield or yuck it up in Ferndale.
There's a lot going on in our area this weekend, so we've collected some of the highlights to share with you.
- When: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Hunter Community Center 509 Fisher Court, Clawson
- Cost: Free
- Why go: The inaugural event will feature artists, authors, crafters and musical performers from throughout Michigan. "Our goal with a festival like this is to engage my own neighborhood in a community experience that is entertaining for families as well as uplifting to our own local arts scene," director Matthew Ball says.
- What else: Visit elevatethearts.vpweb.com for more information.
- When: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Downtown Birmingham; events in Shain Park
- Cost: Free to attend. Registration fees range from $10-$45.
- Why Go: Now in its second year, the Birmingham Bike Festival returns with more races, a live entertainment schedule and more ways to give back. New this year are the municipal workers race and Miles4Miles, a parade-style race benefiting the Miles Levin Pediatric Hospital Fund at Beaumont's Children's Hospital. For more information, visit Need to Know: Birmingham Bike Festival Comes to Town.
Alternative dance night
- When: 9 p.m. Saturday
- Where: The Luna Lounge 1815 N Main St, Royal Oak
- Cost: Admission is free
- Why go: Dance away the week's cares to alternative music and take advantage of cocktail specials – including dollar drinks – all night.
- What else: If dancing isn't your thing, play a little pool. When the doors close, head across the street to National Coney Island before you go home.
- When: Dusk, Saturday
- Where: Community Field No. 2 at Community Park
- Why go: Bring your chairs and blankets to enjoy a movie outdoors. A bounce house, dinosaur slide and maze also will be available for kids.
- What else: Don't forget the bug repellant!
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday
- Where:Tri-County Educational Center 16299 Mount Vernon St., Southfield
- Cost: Free
- Why go: Students ages 16-19 are invited to come explore TCEC, which offers adult and alternative learning to approximately 15 districts in Oakland, Wayne and Macomb counties.
- What else: Call 248-423-5071 or visit berkleyschools.org for more information. Another open house will be held Sept. 8. If you can't make it to either event, call 248-423-5071 for an appointment; evenings and Saturdays are available.
Go Comedy All Star Showdown
- When: 8 p.m., 10 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Go Comedy! Improv Theater, East 9 Mile Road, Ferndale
- Cost: $15
- Why go: Play as big a role as you want during short improv games, challenges and more in this interactive, improvised game show, billed as "one part 'Whose Line is it Anyway,' and one part 'Match Game PM'."
- What else: Visit gocomedy.net for more information.
Know of an upcoming event in our area? Promote it for free on Patch!