Fun Happenings Nearby This Weekend
Savor cider and doughnuts in Huntington Woods, a pig roast in Berkley or a chili cook-off in Clawson; or enjoy a variety show in Royal Oak, a benefit concert for Haiti in Birmingham or a comedy showdown in Ferndale.
There's a lot going on in our area this weekend, so we've collected some of the highlights to share with you.
- When: 8 a.m. to noon Saturday.
- Where: The intersections of York and Lincoln and Lincoln and Scotia in Huntington Woods, as well as at the city's Department of Public Works.
- Cost: A half-dozen doughnuts will be $3.50 and a half-gallon of cider will be $6.
- Why go: All proceeds from the 37th annual Huntington Woods Men's Club and Women's League cider and doughnuts sale will be reinvested into the community.
- What else: Cider will not available by the gallon due to damage to the state's apple crop this year.
- When: 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Actors Loft, 919 S. Main St., Royal Oak.
- Cost: Admission is $7 and includes coffee and light refreshments; half of the fee is paid to participating artists. A portion of the show’s proceeds also will be donated to Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeast Michigan.
- Why go: Check out the monthly variety show by local, independent artists featuring painting, drawing, sculpture, photography and live music ranging from spoken word to folk to jazz to punk rock.
- What else:Visit actorsloft.com for more information.
- When: 1 p.m. Sunday.
- Where: Leon & Lulu, 96 W. 14 Mile Road, Clawson.
- Cost: $10.
- Why go: Sample chili and vote for your favorite, play games and try your luck in a raffle. All chili cook-off, game and raffle proceeds, as well as a portion of store sales, will benefit the American Diabetes Association.
10th Annual Family Pig Roast
- When: Pig roast, 6-8 p.m.; dancing, 8-11 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: VFW Post 9222.
- Cost: Adults, $15; children, $5; advance sales only. Call 248-200-9211, 248-200-9332 or 248 541-9222 for tickets.
- Why go: Fill up on roast and then work it off on the dance floor.
- When: 7 p.m. Sunday.
- Where: First United Methodist Church of Birmingham.
- Cost: Free (tickets required).
- Why Go: Singer/songwriter Scott Wilkinson, along with a band of Detroit musicians, join with Haitian trumpeter Carlot Dorve in a multimedia concert experience. Proceeds generated will support ongoing relief work in the schools, clinics and senior citizens’ care facilities run by the Haitian Methodist Church in Jeremie, Haiti. Tickets are available at all Jeremie Project Michigan Churches, including FUMC.
Go Comedy All Star Showdown
- When: 8 p.m., 10 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Go Comedy! Improv Theater, E. 9 Mile Road, Ferndale.
- Cost: $15.
- Why go: Play as big a role as you want during short improv games, challenges and more in this interactive, improvised game show, billed as "one part 'Whose Line is it Anyway,' and one part 'Match Game PM'."
- What else: Visit gocomedy.net for more information.
Know of an upcoming event in our area? Promote it for free on Patch!