Businesses are Moving and Shaking in Downtown Ferndale
Update from the DDA shows not only are the flowers blooming in Ferndale, but businesses, too.
Over the winter, Ferndale lost a few businesses. Strawberry Moon packed up, House of Chants locked the doors and, more recently, American Pop had to call it quits. But the snow has melted and although it was sad to see those businesses leave, some new ones are coming to town and a few of the existing ones are moving.
The Ferndale Downtown Development Authority gave us an update on the new happenings of downtown:
What’s new (or about to be new) on Nine Mile Road ...:
- The Cacao Tree Café will bring sweets to the west end of downtown, located at 918 W. Nine Mile Rd. An open date, however, has yet to be scheduled.
- West Woodward Animal Clinic, the first veterinarian in the Downtown Development Authority zone, will open soon at 915 W. Nine Mile Rd.
- The Cupcake Station, part of an expanding Cupcake Station chain, will be serving its sweet stuff at 301 W. Nine Mile Rd., at the corner of Allen – where Strawberry Moon was located. Open date yet to be determined.
- No Pins Required, 22446 Woodward Ave., will change its name and its location sometime this spring. The region’s only purveyor of cloth diapers will soon become Modern Natural Baby at its new and larger location at 224 W. Nine Mile Rd.
- Mother Fletchers plans to downsize its inventory but upscale its funk when it moves into a new space at 210 W. Nine Mile Rd. The move is expected to take place sometime in May.
- The Oakland brings a new yet old style of elegance to the bar scene with crystal chandeliers and plush velvet seating at 201 W. Nine Rd., reminiscent of an old-time speak easy with a modern flair.
- The Orchid will keep the nightclub vibe alive on West Nine when it opens soon at 141 W. Nine Mile Rd., the former Club 9 location.
... and on Woodward:
- Street Legal Customs is already revved up and running on Woodward Avenue, bringing a new set of bright lights at that end of the big M-1. Located at 23225 Woodward Ave.
- Essential Massage will move into bigger digs at 22941 Woodward Ave., right next door to its current location.
- Rainy Day Hobbies will move into the old Essential Massage space at 22963 Woodward Ave.
- Sugar Dessert Lounge is taking over The Bosco, at 22930 Woodward Ave., and will open sometime this summer with a revamped design and menu offering.
- Grasshopper Underground has completed its renovation and plans to add outdoor dining to its now open establishment at 22757 Woodward Ave., which was formerly the space for Gracie's Underground.
- NyLa Motley is preparing to open retail space featuring designer women’s fashions at 22751 Woodward Ave., which was formerly occupied by Rockin Soul.
- Sweet Repeat, a vintage clothing, is already up and running at 23315 Woodward Ave.
- The Rust Belt Market, 22801 Woodward Ave., will be an artisans' market open on Saturdays and Sundays.