Owners Chris and Tiffany Best spent a year developing their idea for an incubator for artists to control their art and sales before opening the market in May of last year, taking over the 15,000-square-foot former Old Navy building to make their vision a reality.
Today, the market is bustling each weekend featuring more than 60 creative-based businesses and regular live music events. A new patio is in the works along with a mini-kitchen build-out to accommodate new "flagship savory food vendor" Brew Jus, expected to open later this month.
Ferndale Patch has written about and photographed the market often over the past year. Here are some highlights from our coverage:
- Couple Plans Space for Artists in Ferndale's Vacant Old Navy Building
- Rust Belt Market Inks Lease for Vacant Old Navy Building
- Q&A: Rust Belt Market Puts Spotlight on Artists
- Rust Belt Market Preps for Opening Weekend
- Ferndale Community Supports the Opening of the Rust Belt Market
- Viewfinder: Inside the Rust Belt Market
- Rust Belt Market Transforming into Regular Live Music Venue
- Ferndale DIY Profile: Chris Best, Owner of Rust Belt Market
- Bites Nearby: Rust Belt Market
- At The Rust Belt Market (view series of artist profiles here)
- Chevy Rents Out the Rust Belt for A Private Event
- Photos: Ferndale's First Food Truck Rally Outside Rust Belt Market
- Rust Belt Vendors Lend a Hand for New Patio
Share your Rust Belt photos and favorites
Do you have a favorite item purchased at the Rust Belt? Are you a frequent shopper there, a fan of the live music or even one of the market's vendors? Add your photos to our gallery above and share your comments or happy anniversary wishes to the owners in the comments section below.