5 Ways to Stay Cool Today in Ferndale
Relaxing in the air conditioning at home isn't a choice for at least 1,700 customers in the city without power, so here are some other ways to beat the heat on Saturday.
Like most Ferndale residents, 5-year-old Tallulah Smith isn't too happy about the current power outage.
"It is not good. I have to open like every window!" she said Thursday afternoon while she, her 5-year-old friend Ion and Ion's mom took a snack break after a bike ride in downtown Ferndale. "I don't really like storms."
The 1,780 DTE customers in the city without power as of late Friday evening would probably agree, especially those missing their air conditioning as temperatures reach over 90 degrees.
Looking for some ways to stay cool? Here are a few ideas, and be sure to add your own suggestions in the comments section below.
- Head to the Kulick Community Center, which is open until further notice as an official cooling center. The AC is on, pets are welcome (on leash or crated), and water is available. The Ferndale Library is also open Saturday.
- Cool off with a swim. No backyard pool? Head to one of the water parks in the area, including Red Oaks Waterpark in Madison Heights.
- Load up the family and venture out for the ultimate hot weather snack–ice-cream! How about some Treat Dreams, or maybe some soft-serve at Dairy Queen?
- Who doesn't love a frozen drink on a hot day? Grab a fruit smoothie or an iced coffee at Torino (where power is back on!), Java Hutt or Chazzano.
- For the 21-plus crowd, cool down with your favorite summer cocktail tonight. With the plethora of bars and restaurants in town, you have your pick. Power has been restored to most downtown Ferndale businesses, but be sure to call first just incase.